Drainage of liver abscess

My surgeon did a laparoscopic cholecystectomy with drainage of liver abscess. All I am able to find is an open procedure code 47010 for the drainage. Any ideas, or would this be considered bundled with the cholecystectomy?

Comments

• I have not gotten a response to my post, so here it is again:

My surgeon did a laparoscopic cholecystectomy with drainage of liver abscess. All I am able to find is an open procedure code 47010 for the drainage. Any ideas, or would this be considered bundled with the cholecystectomy?
  • There are no CCI edits when billing 47562 and 47010, so it is ok to bill from that aspect. The liver is lifted out of the way to perform the Lap Chole, and I have seen many op notes indicating that the scope had been removed so the surgeon could do a liver biopsy from the enlarged incision which had been used for the port. It makes sense to me that he'd want to reduce the risk of peritoneal infection by opening the abscess by an open incision and drain the abscess to the outside. You'd have to be sure it's documented that way to use 47562 & 47010. If not, and the liver abscess was drained laparoscopically, consider 47379.