PARTIAL VS COMPLETE WRIST SYNOVECTOMY

How do I know which one was done? What should I look for in the op note? Op note reads: Widespread synovitis that was greatest at the radioscaphoid articulation was noted & osteophyte at the distal edge of the radial styloid was noted. The synovium was resected with the shaver. The bur was then used to resect 4mm of the radial styloid.
Also,would the excision of the radial styloid be inclusive? This surgery was done through scope so not sure what CPT would be for that. Thanks,

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Had found this one time when I was looking for the difference b/w 29844 and 29855:

What to code: This specifies that all of the synovium was removed, so you would turn to code 29845 (Arthroscopy, wrist, surgical; synovectomy, complete) for complete arthroscopic synovectomy. “Documentation is the key for reporting of these services,” says Stumpf. “CPT® code 29845 would be utilized when your provider clearly states that the entire synovium was removed for prolific synovial pathology throughout the wrist. Removal of the synovium from one area of the wrist, intercarpal or radiocarpal, would likely support the use of 29844 as a ‘complete’ synovectomy has not been performed.” Best practice: “Educate your surgeons on the importance of using the language of CPT® (partial or complete) in their operative statement when they perform an arthroscopic wrist synovectomy. Doing so communicates to the payer the extent of the procedure as determined by the surgeon,”. - See more at: https://www.supercoder.com/my-ask-an-expert/topic/arthroscopy-and-capsular-shrinkage-right-wrist#sthash.b1cVLkjX.dpuf

Anne M. Hodgdon
    Orthopaedic Specialty Group, PC
    Fairfield, CT 06824
    203-337-2600 Ext.1105
  • edited May 2017
    Glad it helps - and obviously that was a typo on my part (29855 instead of 29845)!

Anne M. Hodgdon
    Orthopaedic Specialty Group, PC
    Fairfield, CT 06824
    203-337-2600 Ext.1105
  • edited May 2017
    http://decisionhealth.com/communities/forums.aspx

try this one.

Delynn Merrick, CPC
    Dept of Orthopedics/ORL
    405-271-8044 X47944